Have you negotiated college tuition in your divorce settlement?

Fathers Rights Since 1992 Forums Co-Parenting Have you negotiated college tuition in your divorce settlement?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by 2010daddyo 2010daddyo 1 year, 2 months ago. This post has been viewed 418 times

• Creator
    Topic
    Mistah J
    Mistah J
    Participant
    • Topics 20
    • Replies 20
    • Total 40
    • Active Participant
    • ★★

My attorney has advised me from the very beginning of the divorce process to pay particular attention to the children’s college tuition among the number of things that had to be negotiated in the divorce settlement agreement. I made sure that college tuition will be there for my children. I got a good deal in this regards: my ex-spouse and I will contribute equally (50/50) to support our children during college.

What about you? Have you negotiated college tuition in your divorce settlement?

• Author
    Replies
    Elsa
    Elsa
    Participant
      • Topics 8
      • Replies 52
      • Total 60
      • Ace Contributor!
      • ★★★

This is very good planning! A good point for everyone in a similar situation to keep in mind.

2010daddyo
    2010daddyo
    Participant
    • Northern Minnesota
      • Topics 1
      • Replies 29
      • Total 30
      • Active Participant
      • ★★

I tried to but the Ex just wanted my money. We were in negotiations with our attorneys to settle our divorce out of court. Legally I owed her nothing as most of my assets and home were considered pre-marrital property and she had no entitlement to them. However she was requesting half the value of my home and wasn’t willing to negotiate even though I had the law on my side. My attorney suggested to me in private to make her a cash offer just to settle things and avoid a court trial cause that would cost me as much. So I suggested to my ex. how about I agree to a certain dollar amount and it goes into a college fund for our girls. She rolled her eyes and spouted off how absurd and what a “donkey” hole I am. My ex wife is a complete narcissist and can’t be reasoned with….EVER!!! Too bad, our girls are the ones to suffer, 3 1/2 years later and we are still in court! All the money that could have gone to better our children is swallowed up by the attorneys and court fee’s and she still doesn’t get it and accuses me of being the bad parent that doesn’t take our childrens best interests into account….

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.